Its 3pm, you have hit the slump .. the draw of the vending machine has you in its grips! But wait, you are ready to fight it with your SnackTime SuperHero - Energy Balls.
BOOM, you have, in one mouthful won the day and taken a step to healthiness.
Pep, like many of us is not that handy in the kitchen but even he defies you to NOT be able to make these epic little protein balls.
PepTalk has teamed up with Kate Gleeson, Sports & Exercise Nutritionist and all round legend, to share with us recipes that even the biggest kitchen-phobic can manage in record time.
We would love to see your efforts, post them @PepTalkHQ #proteinballs
Ingredients (don't forget to rummage in your cupboards, you probably have most of this already) :
1/3 cup of mixed nuts (e.g. half pecans, half ground almonds)
1/3 cup of mixed seeds (e.g. Sunflower, pumpkin and chia)
1 tablespoon coco powder
1 tablespoon nut butter
1 tablespoon coconut oil or honey
Directions (honestly this is super simple) :
- Blitz the nuts and seeds in a blender for 2-3 minutes
- Add in the dates, coco powder and nut butter - blitz for another 1 minute
- Add enough honey or coconut oil to make it all come together into a thick paste
- With your hands, roll mixture into bite size pieces and place on a baking tray
- All to set in the fridge for 30 minutes
- Enjoy them (well maybe not all of them)
Notes & Cool Ideas :
- Typically makes 10 bites
- Will keep in the fridge for up to 10 Days
- Options : Roll in desiccated coconut/chopped nuts/seeds, or add a squeeze of orange/a few drops of mint extract for extra yummy-ness
A bit about Kate :
Kate Gleeson is a physiologist and registered Sports & Exercise Nutritionist. She studied science at Trinity College Dublin and went on to complete an MSc in Exercise & Sports Nutrition in the University of Ulster. Since then she has gained both SENr and ISAK accreditation. She works with private clients, the general public and numerous sporting teams providing nutritional support, analysing food diaries and creating meal plans. She also speaks at industry exhibitions and presents to corporate and school audiences.